We went to our first Rodeo this weekend!! We didn't get to the glitzy one in Houston and I found out about one at a County Fair about an hour out of Houston. Anyway we went exploring for the day, then to the fair and then finished off with the Rodeo.
The kids were up first (not Nait and Sharni, although more than old enough for some of the kids events). My favourite kids event was 'Mutton Bustin'. Seriously. As the name might or might not suggest, they put sheep in pens (just like the bulls with the adults), kids with helmets on top of them, then let them go and see how long these little tackers can hold on. I was torn between fits of laughter and wondering what parent would do that? To round up the sheep they seriously tie one up in the middle of the arena, once the sheep has thrown the kid off, it runs over to the one in the middle and just stands there! It was hysterical. They had horse racing, ie the old wooden type ones that we used to make out of brooms (the name escapes me at the moment) for the little cowboys and cowgirls. Very cute.
After the little ones had their turn it was time for the serious stuff. We had to stand for the Pledge to the Flag. Nait was over it by this time and wouldn't stop still..... And it is taken very, very seriously. Everyone caps off, right hand over the heart reciting the pledge. Then the National Anthem. Finally followed by the REAL cowboys. Big buckles, hats, boots and all. These men are crazy. Oh I almost forgot their was also the bit where teenagers had to chase down calves, tie them and drag them over the finish line. Those who where successful got to keep the calf. Very upsetting for the ones who missed out.
Back to the cowboys, these guys are nuts. I mean who would want to ride a bloody huge bull, who is obviously very pissed off. Anyway one guy obviously blissed it compared to the others. There was all different types of competitions involving men and women, horses, rope and livestock. (No nothing like that, all good, clean, country, family fun)
There was also the country attire to admire. A lot were in traditional cowboy and cowgirl wear. Hats, boots, big buckles with denim or leather jackets. This outfit was closely followed by camouflage wear, ie like army wear. In particular large Winchester Jackets. I swear Dad you were a Texan in your last life he he. I will say though, everyone was/is extremely friendly and helpful and willing to chat.
The weekend before we went to the Bayou Wildlife Park. Nice to go once but I would rush back. I just found out on Friday that Sharni is going there for a field trip next week. She is very excited as they are going on a School Bus. Like the movies kind of school bus. And 'The Magic School Bus' type bus. I had told her that only high school kids go on them, for some reason I can not remember why I told this little fib at the time. Anyway she is so excited about her 'Field Trip'
Our adventure there was interesting and one of the funniest moments of our time so far. The animals are extremely friendly and used to being feed by people. The ostriches are not intimidated by anyone, nor should they be, they are a big bird. They make emus looks small. They had emus with them so I know this for a fact. (Not sure how I am back to birds?????) Anyway this one Ostrich wanted Dene's food, the kids packed themselves, I jumped and Dene.... well Dene jumped higher than all of us. Admittedly he did have bucket of food this animal wanted. He quickly regained himself, and I couldn't stop laughing. Unfortunately I missed this moment on camera but I will forever remember it.
The kids were up first (not Nait and Sharni, although more than old enough for some of the kids events). My favourite kids event was 'Mutton Bustin'. Seriously. As the name might or might not suggest, they put sheep in pens (just like the bulls with the adults), kids with helmets on top of them, then let them go and see how long these little tackers can hold on. I was torn between fits of laughter and wondering what parent would do that? To round up the sheep they seriously tie one up in the middle of the arena, once the sheep has thrown the kid off, it runs over to the one in the middle and just stands there! It was hysterical. They had horse racing, ie the old wooden type ones that we used to make out of brooms (the name escapes me at the moment) for the little cowboys and cowgirls. Very cute.
After the little ones had their turn it was time for the serious stuff. We had to stand for the Pledge to the Flag. Nait was over it by this time and wouldn't stop still..... And it is taken very, very seriously. Everyone caps off, right hand over the heart reciting the pledge. Then the National Anthem. Finally followed by the REAL cowboys. Big buckles, hats, boots and all. These men are crazy. Oh I almost forgot their was also the bit where teenagers had to chase down calves, tie them and drag them over the finish line. Those who where successful got to keep the calf. Very upsetting for the ones who missed out.
Back to the cowboys, these guys are nuts. I mean who would want to ride a bloody huge bull, who is obviously very pissed off. Anyway one guy obviously blissed it compared to the others. There was all different types of competitions involving men and women, horses, rope and livestock. (No nothing like that, all good, clean, country, family fun)
There was also the country attire to admire. A lot were in traditional cowboy and cowgirl wear. Hats, boots, big buckles with denim or leather jackets. This outfit was closely followed by camouflage wear, ie like army wear. In particular large Winchester Jackets. I swear Dad you were a Texan in your last life he he. I will say though, everyone was/is extremely friendly and helpful and willing to chat.
The weekend before we went to the Bayou Wildlife Park. Nice to go once but I would rush back. I just found out on Friday that Sharni is going there for a field trip next week. She is very excited as they are going on a School Bus. Like the movies kind of school bus. And 'The Magic School Bus' type bus. I had told her that only high school kids go on them, for some reason I can not remember why I told this little fib at the time. Anyway she is so excited about her 'Field Trip'
Our adventure there was interesting and one of the funniest moments of our time so far. The animals are extremely friendly and used to being feed by people. The ostriches are not intimidated by anyone, nor should they be, they are a big bird. They make emus looks small. They had emus with them so I know this for a fact. (Not sure how I am back to birds?????) Anyway this one Ostrich wanted Dene's food, the kids packed themselves, I jumped and Dene.... well Dene jumped higher than all of us. Admittedly he did have bucket of food this animal wanted. He quickly regained himself, and I couldn't stop laughing. Unfortunately I missed this moment on camera but I will forever remember it.
The Ostrich culprit!!

Getting back to the animals. Speaking of which we are all animaled out, and we haven't been to the zoo. Perhaps later in the year. There were lots of animals I had never seen before such as buffalo and many different species of deer, and a TEXAS LONGHORN, man those horns are big. I got a photo of 'Thunder' however the pic doesn't really show you how big he is.
I met my Obstetrician this week and all is well. Going for my 20 week scan in about 2-3weeks. Will let you know how it goes.
All cars have arrived this week!! Yipee we no longer have to drive Dene to and from work. ~2.5 hours per day. Dene bought an Infiniti. So we are both happy campers. And for some reason we didn't take 'The Beast' on our little road trip yesterday when we so obviously should have. It would have fitted in better than Dene's car. Here is 'The Beast.'
All cars have arrived this week!! Yipee we no longer have to drive Dene to and from work. ~2.5 hours per day. Dene bought an Infiniti. So we are both happy campers. And for some reason we didn't take 'The Beast' on our little road trip yesterday when we so obviously should have. It would have fitted in better than Dene's car. Here is 'The Beast.'



Wow Min you sure have had some exciting outings. All sounds very entertaining. I can just imagine you all standing doing your pledge to the flag - trying not to laugh!!! It just seems so Chevy Chase...Good luck with the scan, how are you feeling? Jeremy and Jodi Fagents had a little boy last week - not sure if you have him on your facebook but there are pics there. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThat sure is an alligator! Easter plates/crockery?? Those yanks are crazy :)
ReplyDelete