Friday, March 20, 2009

The Beast

The BEAST has arrived. The huge, fuel guzzling, family truck arrived today! No not a Hummer, but just as big I am sure, a Ford Expedition. Probably about the size of a Toyota Landcruiser back home. I actually haven't taken it for a spin yet, but I will add photos and details about that later.

On other beasts of Texas, we went to Brazos Bend. A national park where alligators hang out! Well they must be a lot and I mean a lot, more docile than their Salt Water Croc cousins in Australia because apparently on a warm day, they are everywhere and people picnic right there. Well of course as you do and not really thinking before we went, the day was bloody cold and not an alligator to be seen. Friends went the weekend before and have pics with heaps of the dinosaur relatives in the background. Actually we did see 5 by the end of the day.


Anyway it was a nice drive out of Houston. We all got to pat baby alligators, surprisingly very soft. Would make a nice purse........... only joking of course! Sharni, Nait and Dene got to pat a snake. I am not upset I missed that. There were warnings about dangerous animals in the area, I mean apart from the Alligators, such as snakes and spiders.... I secretly had to laugh. I felt a bit like Crocodile Dundee, 'That's not a dangerous animal, how about we tell you about some dangerous animals". But fear of sounding like an American of course prevented me from saying anything. Well except to Dene. Their dangerous snakes and spiders certainly have nothing on ours. I don't think people DIE from being bitten from their dangerous animals. Except the alligator! Anyway if you read this Darby, I have a website of videos and pictures of the alligators in action. Perhaps you and your Dad could compare them to the big Crocs up there.

It really was a nice place to visit. There were a lot of bird watchers out and about. No Dad not THAT kind of bird watching. I can honestly say there is something very kooky about birdwatchers. We meet a volunteer in the afternoon and he was quite informative about the Alligators and told us to come back when the weather was a little warmer and early in the morning. Mating season is about start and they are quite active between 8 and 10 in the morning. hhhhhhmmmmmm not too sure about that.

Sharni is on 'Spring Break'. (Everything, even school holidays sounds to me like the movies, oh well small things amuse). So we have had a couple of play dates, one to a nature reserve close by where grannies run the activities and then..... BIRD WATCHING!! Oh my god, I seem to be haunted by them at the moment. It was hilarious as one of them came up to me and another mum, who I had just met and seriously asked us if we knew what it was? We looked at one another as if to say 'What, what is?' and replied 'no sorry.' She was asking us if we knew what bird was making a noise? Oh the effort it took to keep a straight face. I felt like saying that unless it was a kookaburra (which until recently I thought was a native Australian bird! Thanks Dad for sorting out that little misunderstanding.) I didn't have a hope in hell of identifying anything with wings, well perhaps a penguin I could distinguish from a peacock. But I still wouldn't know what noise either of them made. Anyway the kids had a good time, oblivious to the glares a few of us mothers were receiving from the old ducks. Surprisingly the kids got bored. Hell I was bored with what they were saying so you could only imagine Nait trying to sit still.

Another event in our week was St Patrick's Day!! Well now days instead of going out and getting drunk, we go to lunch parties with other Mum's who all secretly wish we were at the pub. Amy had activities for the kids, we dressed in green and we ate green food. And all those who are not knocked up, had an Irish Beer. There are some photos linked on my facebook profile page of the kids in action.

Dene is currently out car hunting for himself. We are about to head to the pool for a dip. Well the kids anyway and tomorrow or Sunday we are going to go for a country drive in 'The Beast' which is what is shall now be know as. Don't know where but somewhere in Texas!

2 comments:

  1. Just figured out how to add pics where I want them not just at the top of the page. So I will endeavour to do that more often. Also not sure if I am just rambling too much in this blog thing. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucky that I missed your call - Mike tells me you sound fabulous. Hopefully we'll chat on the weekend. I have woken up feeling a tad poorly - Justine made us push her car across the carpark again! Maybe I should get myself a tissue and have a little cry about it.....or I could suck it up and keep on truckin'
    Give that belly a rub for me, and for god's sakes stay away from squirrels. They are VERMIN!!

    ReplyDelete