Saturday, March 7, 2009

No problems to speak of







Well I thought I might give blogging a go..... hhhmmmm not sure if that is a good idea or not. My reasoning was so that family and friends, particularly those not on Facebook yet (and there is quite a few) could hear about our adventures without me having to send bulk emails. So we will see how it pans out.



Well we have settled into Houston. Lots of things to see and do. Lots of people to meet. We have been inundated with play dates for the kids, so that has been great. I have meet a few girls in the same complex we live in. They have made me feel very welcome and I have already been on a girls night out! Yep I move fast.

The kids are enjoying themselves. Although Sharni is missing her friends and is eager to start school to find some girls her own age. A girl Shantell taught last year is here in Houston and we caught up with her this week for a play. I think Sharni really enjoyed it. There are a lot of kids where we live but seem to be Nait's age or older than Sharni. Plus anyone over the age of 2 seems to be in some kind of day/school care so the playground here is pretty deserted during the day.

We have been school searching for Sharni this week. She is old enough for Pre-K. Which is like our kindy, but 5 days instead of 2. Because it isn't compulsory everywhere is full with long waiting lists. So we are going to go private for the rest of the year. Which is only about 2 1/2 to 3 months. We will see how that goes. Then they have 3 months off for the summer and the new school year starts at the end of August! (just in time for the baby)

Nait doesn't seem to worried about the whole thing. I think as long as we are around he is fine. Although we will see how he goes once Sharni starts going to school..... He might be a little lost for a while.

Dene has been on a course for the past 2 weeks and he starts in the office on Monday. I think he has enjoyed being on a course for a change. As he hasn't done many before now. (always too busy). We only have the one car at the moment so we have been dropping him off and picking him up every day. Which I would rather, so I have a car for the day. But I can't deny I wont be happy when we get a second one.

Some of the things we have done already, apart from proudly driving on the other side of the road, on chaotic freeways, where cars like our Toyota Landcruisers look small.

We visited the Children's Museum of Houston. Which we all enjoyed. We are eagerly waiting for the whole new section to be open as a lot of the museum was closed for maintenance.
We went to the Rodeo and livestock show yesterday. Which is a little like our Perth Royal Show. Only it goes for 20 days and is as you would expect a little larger...... (Hey it is Texas, you have to expect these things) We didn't actually get to the Rodeo as it is on at night time and we were exhausted. We are seriously thinking of heading there one week night just to see it. I mean to come to Texas have the rodeo in town and not go, seems like going all the way to Alice Springs and not going the extra miles (yep I said miles) to see Uluru. Anyway I am getting side tracked. The kids loved it and they had excellent activities for the kids. One we all enjoyed was a made up farm where the kids collected fake produce, like milking a fake cow, collecting eggs and planting seeds, while observing real ones. They then rode little tractors, to take their produce to the market, sold it, received fake money and then used it to buy a juice at the shop on the way out. Very clever I thought.

Tomorrow we are planning a drive out to Galveston, or what is left of it after Hurricane Ike last year. So that should be interesting.

Anyway I think that is enough for one blog.....

2 comments:

  1. Great blogging Min! I love all the polka dots in the background....groovy. I am so glad you have settled in well. The kids will love the rodeo, don't forget to get a picture of Dene being thrown from a bull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Min - You did it..I think you will love blogging and it will be like a diary for you of your US adventures. Sounds like you are having way too much fun to be homesick.

    ReplyDelete